Sunday, November 27, 2011

Our Little Thanksgiving Dinner...

After we were married, Lucas and I decided that if we spent the holidays with our families, sometime that same weekend, we would do a little dinner with our little family to celebrate the holiday.  Today we had "Our Little Thanksgiving Dinner."  For Thanksgiving, I always have the dinner after the holiday because everything is on sale!  It might be the Chinese in me, but I love the fact that we can buy a 10 pound turkey for $8 and all the sides for under $20 after Thanksgiving Thursday. 

I was inspired this year by my friend Jenn, who is an amazing cook and mommy, to make everything from scratch.  She somehow balances being a mommy to a six week old baby and makes home-cooked meals for her husband. She taught me how to brine a turkey and roast it with a fresh-herb butter.  Yum!  My biggest accomplishment was the stuffing from scratch, something Lucas and I have never done before.  We also made Aunt Karen's sweet potato casserole and my dad's apple crisp; both of which are staples in our families.  All in all, it was a great meal and I can't wait to learn more recipes and tricks from Jenn in the future!

No comments:

Post a Comment